The history of Jajpur district is Odisha 10th century when this region was under the rule of Keshri, the king caste of Somvanshi dynasty. Tells about the naming of Jajpur and its historical significance during the reign of Somvanshi and Bhuma dynasties. It was the royal capital of Odisha during the reign of Kesari dynasty. It is believed that the king of Somvanshi, Jajati, had ever performed a major yajna in the region by the name of Dashaswamedha. Jajpur is also mentioned in various stories of India including Baitarani Tirtha and Viraj. Ashtapitamahatmya, Tantrachintamani, Brahmanda Purana, Chaitanya-Charitamrit etc. It is also one of the Shaktipeeths. Whereas according to the opinion of other scholars, this name originated from Jajatipura. Inancienttimes, Jajpur was called as Viraj orParvatiKhet. Many times it has been referred to as Baitarani Teerth which is one of the famous pilgrimages of India.
Chandikhol Chandi Temple
Chandikhol is a town in Jajapur district of Odisha, India. The place is named after the late monk Baba Bhairavananda Brahmachari, who founded the deity of Mother Chandi in 1932 in one of the hills adjacent to the dense forest filled with thick forest and ferocious animals.
Ashokjhar is a tourist place located in Sukinda Block. Nirest railway station is Sukinda Road.
The ArchaeologicalMuseumat Ratnagiri is an important site museum of the Archaeological Survey of India, built on the northern summit of Ratnagiri village in Jajpur, Odisha.
This temple is located in Jajpur Basti in the 13th century, which is about 125 km north of Bhubaneswar. The main idol is Goddess Durga who is worshiped under the name Viraj. Jajpur is also known as Virajkshetra or Birja Peeth.