Publish Date: 2019-03-09 11:41:00
Shimla is probably the most popular hill station in northern India,is the capital of Himachal Pradesh Shimla Also Know as " The Hill's Queen" is situated in the lower ranges of the Himalayan Mountains. it is surrounded by pine deodar, oak and rhododendron forests. Towards the north lie the snow-covered high-ranges, while the valleys breathe whispering streams and swaying fields. Within the town are most splendid colonial edifices, quaint cottages and charming walks. Shimla offers a variety of shopping, sport and entertainment activities. Shimla is suitable for family outings as well as honeymoons. Shimla flaunts a huge Mall road and plush list of tourist attractions. While your stay in Shimla, dont forget to pass by the Ridge.
Shimla district is situated in the north-west Himalayas and is the capital of Himachal Pradesh.
Tourist Attractions In Shimla
Shimla is full of tourist attractions that are worth visiting. Shimla town is located in mid hills of western Himalayas. Shimla's cool climate is the precise reason why it is such a popular summer retreat.They may intrigue some with their rich historical legacy and for some, they are the perfect places to indulge in some good photography. You can enjoy the Shimla's cool Climate with your Shimla trip or Shimla tour package and get relief from the scorching heat of the plains. Shimla is a photographer's paradise and you will find some of the most picture perfect shots over here. Located at an altitude of approximately 2200m above sea level, the region has a hilly terrain and is covered by dense evergreenforests. A few visitors choose to visit Shimla during spring or autumn when the place is less crowded and the views are too spectacular for words.
Some must visit places are:
There are a number of tourist spots around Shimla. The following are the most popular and are worth a visit. You are bound to have lasting impressions of these spots in your mind for a long time. Thease are Given below:
- Mall Road Shimla
- Shimla Ridge
- State Museum & Library
- Viceregal Lodge<
Shimla Facts Area : 25 square kilometres
Altitude : 2050m above sea level
Currency : Indian Rupee
Attractions : Kali Bari Temple, Jakhoo Temples, state Museum, Prospect Hill
Best Time To Visit : May to October.
Language spoken : Himachali,Hindi, English, Pahari, Punjabi, Kangri, Kinnauri
Location : 31.06° North to 77.13° East in Himachal Pradesh
Population : 163,000 (according to 2001 census)
Religion : Domination of Hinduism
STD (Standard Trunk Dialing) Code : 0177
Summers : April to June (16o - 28o Celsius)
Monsoons : July to September (12o - 22o Celsius)
Winters : November to February (-7o - 10o Celsius)
Time : IST (Indian Standard Time) +5.5 hours
Internet Availability: Very Good
How To Reach Shimla
Shimla is well-connected by road and rail. The National Highway NH-22 connects Shimla to the nearest big city of Chandigarh. The scenic Kalka Shimla Railway, a narrow gauge track, is listed in the Guinness Book of Records for the steepest rise in altitude in a distance of 96 km. Kalka, the plains rail terminus, has daily departures to major Indian cities. Flights from the airport at Jubbarhatti (12 km away) connect Shimla to Delhi. If You can go through By Air, By Rail/Train or By Road we can approch as below
If You wana go Shimla by air it is very easily reached by air. The place has its own airport at a place called Jubbarhatti, which is located at a distance of 23 kilometers from the main city center. Flights from New Delhi, Chandigarh and Kullu (another hill station) operate on a daily basis. Jagson Airlines is the flight that operates from these places on a regular basis. or Vayudoot services connect Jubbor-Hatti (23 kms from Shimla) with Kullu, Chandigarh and Delhi. Delhi is in turn connected with Calcutta by Indian Airlines flights. Jagson Airlines also has flights from Delhi to Shimla.
If You wana go Shimla by train or Rail, then The most popular thing about this city is the toy train connectivity. The nearest railway station that connects Shimla to neighboring states is at Kalka,a narrow guage railway line which in turn is connected with the major cities in India. This place is located at a distance of 96 kilometers from Shimla. From Kalka, it takes around 6 hours to reach Shimla. The frequency of trains that ply from Kalka to Shimla is pretty good, with atleast 4 trains plying to and fro from Shimla. The journey from Delhi to Kalka is an overnight journey and reaches Kalka early morning. There are many tunnels en route with the longest being 1.2 kilometers long!
If You wana go Shimla by Road, Shimla is well connected Regular bus services to neighboring places like New Delhi (343 kms) and Chandigarh (117 kms) through national highways. The journey from Delhi to Shimla by road takes approximately 8 hours , Kullu (220 kms), Manali (260 kms), Delhi (343 kms), Mandi (150 kms), Pathankot (380 kms), Ambala (151 kms), Chail (43 kms), Dehradun (240 kms), etc. The highways are well maintained by the authorities and are a pleasure to drive on. There are many tourist buses that ply from neighboring places to take tourists to this beautiful hill station.
Religious Places The capital of the Land of God's is no exception to this land's spiritual abyss. Some of the well known religious places in Shimla are:
- Bhimakali Temple
- SUMMER HILL (1983m): Summer Hill is a hill on the Shimla-Kalka Railway line. It offers shady walks in quiet surroundings.
- Jakhu Temple (2455m): Jakhoo Temple is Shimla's highest peak. It offers a view of the town. There is an ancient "Lord Hanuman" temple.
- Kalibari Temple Shimla (Few yards from scandal Point towards General Post Office. It is believed that the idol of Goddess Shayamla is enshrined there.)
- HATKOTI (400m): Motorable on Shimla-Rohru highway. The place is famous for ancient temple of Mata Hateswari in the midst of paddy fields on the right bank of the Pabber river.
- Christ Church & St. Michael's Cathedral
- TATTAPANI (680m): It is located on Shimla-Mandi Highway via Naldehra. Tattapani has hot water springs having sulphur contents. The Hindu temples and Shiv Goofa at Saraur are frequented spots.
- Sankat Mochan Temple
- Tara Devi Temple Shimla
- PROSPECT HILL (2155m): Prospect Hill is a 15-minute walk from Boileauganj on Shimla Bilaspur road. The hill offers a view of the area.
- CHADWICK FALLS (1586m): Chadwick Falls is about 45 minutes walk from Summer Hill Chowk. It offers a scenic beauty and is a good place for relaxation.
- JUBBAL (892m): Headquarters of the erstwhile Princely State, Jubbal has a Palace which was designed by a French architect in 1930 and is a remarkable mix of European and indigenous styles.
- NALDEHRA (2044m): This place has a nine-hole golf course. It was designed by the British viceroy, Lord Curzon, who was so enchanted by this place that he gave his daughter Alexandra, Naldehra as her second name. The ancient Nag temple is also situated here.
- RAMPUR (924m): Rampur is situated on the Hindustan Tibet Road. Once the capital of the Princely State of Bushahr, the town is situated on the banks of Satluj river. It has a big Commercial Centre and the famous International Lavi fair is held in November every year. Dumgir Buddhist Temple, Padam Palace, Raghunath Temple, Ayodhya temple and Narsingh Temple are also situated here.
Major Festivals celebrated in Shimla
The capital itself is a host to various festivals celebrated all over the state. As people from all over the state come to the capital and it has one the youngest populations in the country it naturally has become a mix of the old and the new customs of the society and the world. Some of these festivals are:
- Ice Skating Carnival (Dec/Jan)
- Rhyali Festival (Jul)
- Shimla Summer Festival (Apr/May)
- Baisakhi (Apr)
- Bhoj Fair (Nov)
- Lavi Fair (Nov)
- Sipi Fair (May)
- Sair Festival (Sep)
- Shimla Winter Festival (Feb)
Excursion Those who can resist the charm of Shimla's peaceful environment and pious way of life can visit the following destinations near the city :
- shimla tourism packages
- shimla mall road tourist place
- ridge shimla himachal pradesh
- shimla tourism contact number
- shimla tourism places to visit
- himachal tourism place